Are online matrimony sites trustworthy ?
In recent years, there has been a tremendous increase shown in online matrimonial sites. Many sites are now available as well as number of users are also increased. As per one research, the market of online matrimonial has reached up to 510 crore and it is increasing at the rate of 30%. It shows that people are now using matrimonial sites in search of good partner and that’s why 4 crore profiles are already registered on web sites and 22 lakh profiles have been uploading every month. It is the easy way to search partner for life long and you don’t have to go anywhere, in search of a partner. On the other hand, many types of risks are also attached with it
Users of matrimonial sites fully disclose sensitive personal information to make a match. Initially in the matching process their profiles remain anonymous, but as the selection narrows down, the level of disclosure increases as the parties interact on the site. Personal information includes a person’s name, email address, sex, age, mailing address, credit card or debit card details medical records and history , photograph, sexual orientation, bio metric information, interests, information tracked while navigation, horoscope and occupation. If other services linked to the sites such as chats are used, the contents of these chats may also be recorded. Interestingly, some sites also allow users to submit public and private information on behalf of others like child, relative, and friends without their explicit consent.
Let me throw some light on the use of online matrimonial sites:
Why Matrimonial sites are so popular?
- Matrimonial sites are very useful because you do not have to be messed up in long distance processes, as involved in the past to search partner. Family, relatives, friends and now matrimonial site become a helping centre for marriage.
- You can upload your profile on site and can get the benefit of mass users of it. Now the scope to find partner becomes too wide as people from anywhere can upload as well as see profile of any one.
- As many choices are available because of matrimonial sites, you can easily select him or her by comparing profiles and matrimonial sites are also helping in sort out profiles which are matching with your profile.
- Some of Online matrimonial sites are also organizing physical counseling centers. So that registered users can meet each other at that place and if anybody wants to register his or her profile they also can do the same.
- The biggest advantage is that, online matrimonial sites are free of cost and you only have to pay charges if you demand some special requirements. So, easy to access, easy to search, easy to match and easy to get.
- As times have changed, people living away from their particular community is increasing. In such situation, the only way of reaching to their community left is online matrimonial site. In many cases, people have lost contact with their community and find it difficult to find a partner, then matrimonial sites comes into practice.
- Girls are getting more educated and there are cases in some communities that guys are not that educated.
- In some places such as Rajasthan and Haryana, count of number of girls have reduced drastically, so they have to reach out to find a girl.
- NRI are in a hurry to get married in limited period of time, when they come to India, they can get registered and paid services to get the verification done, so matrimonial sites are very useful in such cases.
- In corporate companies, people miss out time of marriage in meeting requirements of life, so when the desire to get married arise, only option left for them is matrimonial sites.
Threats of Matrimonial sites
- As online matrimonial sites have many benefits and crores of profiles are available on it, even though it is not reliable and trustworthy because of many fraud cases describe by victims.
- In past few years, crime rates through matrimonial sites have increased drastically. Especially in cities such as Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad, where corporate companies and cultures have increased.
- Only 10% users can do marriage by online matrimonial sites. It means the success ratio is very low in compare to registered users.
- Because of many fraud cases, many women empowerment committees have done complains to “woman and child empowerment ministry of India” and suggested to make strict rules against this type fraud and online matrimonial site owner have also punished, if they found guilty in such cases.
- There are higher chances that any person uploads wrong information through a profile. So, here we cannot be sure about it and sites are providing nothing to check that the profile is correct or not.
- Matrimonial sites are not responsible for any future event. So, the user becomes helpless if he or she becomes victim of any fraud. This type of statement itself says that sites are not so trustworthy, you have to use it by your own risk.
How to avoid being fool on matrimonial sites?
- There is an option for paid trusted verification of site. In this option, if you pay to the site, then everything related to your university degree, your home, your job and salary is verified by the site owner. Same way, you should reach out to only those people who have opted for this site.
- Even if the person, whom you find appropriate has not opted for the trusted option, you can pay and get his or her details verified.
- The most important thing is being alert. Just don’t go crazy after anyone.
- Never disclose your financial details with anyone, whom you meet on this sites.
- Never get involved in financial transaction in name of help or emotional black mailing.
- If you are finding some ‘NRI’ guy or girl suitable then go for verification of all certificates and check for marital details.
- Never put yourself in any compromising situation so that the person can blackmail you.
- Always meet at public place or in presence of family.
It is not just finding the right guy or girl, but in today’s time, it is saving yourself from any emotional break up. It is like, better be alert then to be put in some disastrous situation. Always think in terms of money, human trafficking and dowry area before going for any approvals. Most importantly, take time. Now its not the time for “chat mangni, pat shaadi”. Have an approach of wait and watch. What would he or she do if you don’t pay money?
I personally believe users of some of the Indian matrimonial sites face the risk of unconsented use of their sensitive personal information. When, I read the privacy polices of these sites, it felt quite apparent that there was a genuine lack of understanding as to what was needed to protect the privacy of the sites users. I would advise all users to first read the Privacy Policies of these sites to select a suitable one to use and to ensure the deletion of personal data when the matchmaking process is finished.
I would advise all users to first read the Privacy Policies of these matrimony sites to select a suitable one to use and ensure the deletion of personal data when the matchmaking process is finished.